It isn’t very often I begin a book and don’t finish it, let alone write about it. Occasionally, I will start one and set it aside for awhile because I have to be in a certain frame of mind to read it, then pick it up again later and tear through it because I am in the right frame of mind. But Shylock is My Name was a book that simply eluded me.
For me, Jacobson‘s tome, dealing with what has been describe as an “uncomfortable” topic — that of the grasping Jew, Shylock, who, incidentally, is that way because of the abuse he has suffered — set in modern times, just fell flat for me. It was extremely slow-paced and so full of racist jokes and allusions that I found it repugnant. I survived through about 4 chapters. It’s quite possible that I entirely missed the point Jacobson (winner of the Man Booker Award 2010 for his book, The Finkler Question) was trying to make but I have stacks of books I really want to read and after leaving this one on my bedside table for what must be close to a year, I finally gave it up! If you enjoyed it, I apologize. If you want to tell me why you enjoyed it, I’d be glad to hear from you. If you’ve never heard of it, don’t worry about it.
Visit my Travel Blog
Available at Amazon
Mystery Monday Meme
- Lost Ottawa by David McGee July 18, 2018
- Tuesdays’ Tantalizing Teasers & First Chapter, First Paragraph: Revelation by C.J. Sansom July 17, 2018
- Mystery Monday: The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware July 16, 2018
- This is the… July 15, 2018
- On My Bookshelf July 13/18 July 13, 2018
- The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O’Connor McNees June 28, 2018
- Tuesday’s Tantalizing Teasers & First Chapter, First Paragraph: The Alice Network by Kate Quinn June 26, 2018
- Mystery Monday: Cold Mourning by Brenda Chapman June 25, 2018
My Goodreads Challenge
DisclosureI occasionally receive complimentary books from publishers or book review programs but the opinions stated here are my own and are not solicited, nor are positive reviews required. I don't represent any publisher, author, or bookseller.
Net Galley Badge
Search My Site
- 21,476 hits
Google TranslatorTranslate this blog into different languages...
Albanian Arabic Bulgarian Catalan Chinese Simplified Chinese Traditional Croatian Czech Danish Dutch Estonian Filipino Finnish French Galician German Greek Hebrew Hindi Hungarian Indonesian Italian Japanese Korean Lativian Lithuanian Maltese Norwegian Polish Portuguese Romanian Russian Serbian Slovak Slovenian Spanish Swedish Thai Turkish Ukrainian Vietnamese